Mayfield First United Methodist Church was founded in 1833 when circuit riding preachers came into the Purchase Area of Kentucky from Tennessee . This church began in the homes and barns of the first members. By 1837 the congregation built a one room log cabin church within the city limits.
In 1856, the Methodists built a larger structure complete with stained glass. It was the first building in Mayfield to be used solely for worship. It was erected on the east side of South Eighth Street between West Broadway and West South Street. Around that time, Mayfield became part of a two-point charge with Wright’s Chapel Methodist Church. Later, the congregation at Milburn Methodist was added to the pastor’s duties in 1871.
After considerable growth in the area, and subsequent growth in the size of Mayfield First Methodist, a third structure was built in 1875. Fire destroyed that sanctuary and annex in 1891.
The congregation moved to a fourth, larger structure built in 1892. That church building stood nearer the square than the current sanctuary. The congregation soon outgrew the structure.
Around 1915, the present building was designed and construction was begun. The current building was completed in 1919 and in regular use since 1920.
We have a wonderful collection of archived materials from our church’s history. The Archives can be found in room #105. There are also two printed histories of the church that can be perused.
Over the years we have seen lots of growth and change, and yet we are excited that the best is yet to come! God continues to bless us and help us reach out to our community with His message of hope and salvation.